The opening of Uniqlo’s new store on Fifth Avenue may have been the big event last week with celeb appearances, posters all over the city, and ads in all the local papers. But we were more intrigued by the opening of C Wonder on Spring Street in Soho. With its lime lacquered front doors and its colorful merchandise, at first we thought we were in Oompa Loompa Land. But then its striking resemblance to all things Tory Burch jumped out at us as we watched the ads on the taxi TV network and on the sides of buses all over town. It’s no coincidence that Chris Burch is the name behind the brand. So who really is the brains behind the Burch kitsch? Here’s your weekly round-up… Oh, and Happy Halloween!
- In other launch news, HavetoHave.com, “the first online lifestyle registry” created by Kimberly Skelton and Carla Holtze hit the web running with a bevy of initial stylesetters including Michelle Harper, Nicole Romano, Phillip Bloch, Lucy Sykes Rellie, Maggie, Rizer, Gigi Stone, Tinsley Mortimer, and FameGame’s own Tatiana Platt.
- The statue of liberty is getting webcams on its 125th anniversary.
- The Apple store at Grand Central is on track to open by Black Friday.
- Former RHONY Kelly Killoren Bensimon has launched a line of shoes — ballet flats. And she will donate $3 of the $39.99 price tag to the Breast Cancer Research Fund. (Kelly’s a Mover and Shaker this week, see this list below.)
- First it was Missoni for Target, now it’s Versace for H&M. Here’s what to buy, hoping that H&M’s web servers don’t crash like Target’s did.
- Happy birthday TOMORROW to Michele Savoia. THIS WEEKEND: It’s Paula Froelich’s birthday on Sunday, October 30th. HALLOWEEN: Wish a happy birthday to Veronique Pittman on Oct. 31st by helping her raise money for the Green Schools Alliance. Go here to donate!
- Twitter item of the week: Milla Jovovich thinks Summit Entertainment isn’t doing enough to promote her new film “The Three Musketeers” and tweets about it.
- Upcoming event highlights: HALLOWEEN: Celebrate Halloween early at Bette Midler’s Hulaween 2011 to benefit the New York Restoration Project, co-hosted by Michael Kors who will be judging costumes! NEXT WEEK: Tuesday, November 1st is the 2011 Princess Grace Awards Gala honoring Julie Andrews at Cipriani 42nd Street. On the 2nd, don’t miss the L’Oreal Paris Legends Gala to Benefit the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund. See our events page for details on these and other events.
This Week’s “MEDIA” Movers and Shakers
Kelly Killoren Bensimon
See the full list here
Ken Auletta @ Startraks Photo
Updated every week, Movers and Shakers ranks the top “movers” and “shakers” in New York in a variety of categories as determined by changes in percentage rank.
This Week’s “ART” People Rank
See the full list here
Daphne Guinness @ PR Photos
Updated every week, People Rank lists a selection of the top people in New York in a variety of categories as determined by total value rank.
Photo of the Week @ PR Photos:
Lauren Remington Platt
What: The 2011 Golden Heart Awards
Who: Lauren Remington Platt
See more recent event coverage here.
Lauren Remington Platt @ PR Photos
Fame Game’s Most Visited People Profiles
See what this week’s most visited profiles were…
1. Allison Pataki
2. Jane Notar
3. Kelly Sugarman
4. Adriana Stan
5. Aviva Drescher
Adriana Stan & Dawn Davis @ Billy Farrell Agency
Fame Game’s Most Visited Organization Profiles
Here are the week’s most popular pages for companies and organizations on Fame Game…
1. Boys & Girls Harbor
2. Bryant Park Grill
4. Humane Society
5. Miss Bisou
Boys & Girls Harbor